Tuesday, October 5, 2010

When Mom Gets Tired

By Kelly

Do you remember the post I wrote a few months ago about being tired?

It contained a priceless bit of wisdom from my Mom that says, in a nutshell, when our kids are acting out, consider first that their behavior may stem from the fact that they are tired.

Turns out, the same is true of Moms.

Lately, I feel thin. I feel worn, impatient, shallow, like I have no resources upon which to call. My well is dry. And it’s not just when my husband travels and I’m forced into single parenthood. It’s a weariness that has settled into my soul.

I pondered this last night, as I lay in my daughter’s bed. I was replaying the previous 90 minutes in my mind, and I was shamefaced at my hurried tone and impatient edge. “They are only kids, Kelly,” I chided my inner self. “Why are you so cranky lately?”

And then it hit me – I must be tired.

The recognition poured over me like a flood. The last 12 months have been exhausting. They involved (in no particular order) gestating a human, giving birth to a sweet baby boy, nursing said sweet baby boy, attempting to keep a toddler out of trouble (attempting being the key word), parenting a first grader and fourth grader who are at delightful and intensive stages, supporting my husband as he quit one job and started another (that may necessitate a move for our family next year), and OH YES, writing a blog.

I’m exhausted just writing that. No really. I am.

Plus, I realized this summer took more out of me than I first realized. Making sure the three older kids enjoyed the summer while I balanced the needs of a newborn – well, that was a tightrope walk, my friends. It took a lot of emotional, mental and physical energy.

I am tired.

So maybe I’ll cut myself some slack and go to bed early. I don’t like being tired.

Life is too short.

Kelly blogs at Love Well. When she's not too tired.

7 comments:

  1. that post of you're tired has come more helpful than i ever thought. see as soon as my son acts up i do a mental check and most often its tiredness plus a thing or two. So off we are to bed. As for me yeah BEEN very tired with this baby and its not yet born! And i have slacked a lot and keeping myself idle...as you say life is too short

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    I went through the same thing yesterday and remembered your post. My son was overtired and really misbehaving causing my overtired husband to lose his temper and then my overtired self lost it even more. Thanks for the reminder. Is is bedtime yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, it will get better! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well no matter how patient we are moms to our family especially with our kids we get so tired sometimes and get mad... Being a mother is not an easy task so children should consider that. Learn to give and take. I think that is very important in a family. If that is the case then I think there will be no conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too! And here I am at 9:53 p.m. reading blogs because it is finally quiet in my house and no one needs me and I am just soaking it up. Why do I do this to myself? Here's hoping for more rest for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you'll know which is right for you.

    ReplyDelete